Andrew Hempstead is one of the world’s most prolific guidebook writers, having authored, co-authored, and updated over 100 books that have sold over 800,000 copies in the last 30 years. He has been a fulltime travel writer since 1989, when, after leaving a career in the field of advertising, he took off for Alaska, linking up with veteran travel writer Deke Castleman to help research and update the fourth edition of Moon Handbooks Alaska-Yukon. His major guidebook clients have included Avalon Travel, Frommer’s, Michelin, Odyssey, Dorling Kindersley, Michelin, and Sasquatch Books.
He is a contributing partner to the Canadian Rockies Travel Guide and his writing has also appeared in numerous magazines and online for clients such as Northstar Media, Alaska Airlines, and Expedia. He also writes and edits for corporate clients such as Parks Canada and Travel Alberta. In addition to his in-depth knowledge of the destinations he writes about, Andrew:
- is a past academy member of S. Pellegrino World’s 50 Best Restaurants
- has spoken on guidebook writing to a national audience
- contributed to a university textbook on travel writing
- has joined Tony Wheeler and Tim Cahill as an interviewee of Rolf Potts (read interview here)
- has been featured in the Calgary Herald as a “famous Albertan” for his writing resume
- is called on by CNN Travel for Canadian travel advice.
Andrew Hempstead has authored, co-authored, and updated the following books: